Sunday, March 23, 2008

Preacher on a hot tin roof




I believe I can fly! :)

We have been trying to catch up on some repair work around the church lately. One of the things that badly needed some attention was the steeple. We had planned to scrape, prime, and paint it, but had a hard time figuring out how to access it. The roof is very steep, and made of metal.

At last Lee Martinez, (a deacon in the church who also has a road sign construction business, offered to let us use his crane) I don't know when it happened, but somewhere in the last several years I have gained a fear of heights! The winds have been crazy down here with gusts of up to 40 and 50 miles per/hour.

We had planned to ride the bucket up, climb out, and strap ourselves to the steeple by some rope. However, as you can see by the pictures, due to the height and the wind, I never did make it out of the bucket! I just used my long arms to paint from there.

Thanks to Greg Yacobian for being a little more adventurous and climbing out of the bucket where he could reach the low spots. :)

No comments: