Sunday, March 23, 2008

Mission trip to Coyutla






A few weeks ago I made a trip into deep Mexico to visit some of our churches in the mountains near the village of Coyutla in the state of Vera Cruz. It was quite an experience as I decided to take the bus down instead of fly. I left Reynosa at 9:30 p.m. and 13 hours later I arrived. (My knees were not thrilled!)

We have three churches in those mountains, and it was a unique visit. My spanish has gotten very good, but many there speak the indiginous dialect of Totanaco. (I did learn several phrases by the time I left. Tlen Natalanin.)

In these pictures you can see how mountainous the region is. As some of you know, I've been exercising a lot and I know run between 4 and 7 miles every day. However, a brisk walk up a hill in the colonias nearly wore me out!

The people are extremely poor. Nearly all of the houses are made of sticks and branches and all the floors are dirt. Here is a picture of a baby in his homemade crib/swing. Another picture shows 2 of the women baking in their kitchen. Note the homemade stove they bake bread in. The last picture of the river is a long range view, but it shows the local women washing their clothes in the river.

All in all it was a great trip and I made some very great friends. Many thanks to the group from Missouri that were their to help in the purchase of property for a new church.

No comments: